Saturday, March 15, 2008

Period piece edition of What I Just Read: Emma vol. 7 and The Red Seas vol. 1

Here's how this works: I finish reading something, and I tell you about it, and I try not to bore you to death.



Well-l-l-l-l... it was okay. There's a bizarre sense of time in this edition, like a trip to and from America is a simple jaunt and not a couple of months in a ship crossing the ocean. Everything ends somewhat satisfactorily, but the viscount doesn't get the comeuppance I was hoping for. And Eleanor, Jesus, what a drip. I started the series captivated by the story and the art, but by the end, I was only thrilled by the art. In the end, not particularly recommended, but I'm willing to give Kaoru Mori's next series Shirley a try since I like her art so much.




It's a rip-roaring tale of pirates on the high seas in the 1760s, led by the dashing Captain Jack Dancer. (The character's name predates that Sparrow fella by about a year, but Sparrow's a little more compelling to this viewer.) The series is full of brilliant period art by Steve Yeowell, who can draw anything and make it look great, excellent villains, and high concepts like a talking two-headed dog and a battle between a giant kraken and the Colossus of Rhodes, but the devices drive the plot more than the characters. We rarely see Capt. Dancer think his way out of an impossible situation, and his crew is disappointingly anonymous. I find myself wishing The Red Seas was more compelling than it actually is, but for what it does, it's not at all bad. Recommended with wishes for more improvement in the ongoing series.

(Originally posted March 15, 2008 at hipsterdad's LJ.)

No comments: