Sunday, February 17, 2008

Dr. Slump vol. 14 and Enigma

Here's how this works: I finish reading something, and I tell you about it, and I try not to bore you to death.



Have to say, this one was done on the cheap. The first half of this book wraps up the really long scrap with Dr. Masahirito and his "Caramel Man" robots which originally ran for about five months in the pages of Shonen Jump in the early 80s, but there isn't any recap or helpful information for anyone stepping into the middle of this. It's all kinds of nutty and odd, but I recommend anybody curious pick up volumes 13 and 14 together!



I reviewed Enigma for my Weekly Comics Hype back in 2005 and made a complete hash of it, honestly. This was one of the mini-series which were selected to launch the Vertigo imprint in 1993, a murder mystery about sexual identity, 1970s comic books and flying lizards. It's remarkable in many ways, and frustrating in others, but it's a singular, fascinating story and one of Peter Milligan's best stories. Recommended for mature readers.

(Originally posted February 17, 2008 at hipsterdad's LJ.)

No comments: